- Author: Will Larson
- goodreads page
An excellent book for software engineering managers, one full of actionable strategies and clear examples, which significantly helps me in my work.
The book is organized into the following chapters:
- Organizations: From sizing teams to succession planning, the chapter delves into organizational design, discussing the dynamics of growing teams, the challenges of scaling, and how to make structural decisions;
- Tools: A look at the frameworks and tools that can be employed by engineering managers, such as systems thinking, product management, and metrics;
- Approaches: Detailed strategies for navigating common challenges in engineering leadership;
- Culture: Discusses the nuances of building and nurturing a positive engineering culture;
- Careers: Insights into career growth within the tech industry, including strategies for hiring and performance management;
- Appendix: Offers tools for operating growing companies and Will Larson’s reading recommendations.
In the blog