Leadership is the ability of an individual to inspire, influence and guide other people towards the accomplishment of common goals and objectives.
This page is a collection of resources I consider relevant about leadership.
A few of several leadership styles that I think are relevant in my context in the tech industry:
- Servant Leadership: Servant leaders prioritize the well-being and growth of their team members. They focus on empowering, nurturing, and developing individuals to achieve their full potential, while also emphasizing collaboration and the importance of community. Servant leaders believe that by serving others, they can create a more effective and harmonious work environment.
- Situational Leadership: Situational leaders adapt their style based on the specific context, task, and individual needs of their team members. They recognize that different situations require different approaches and are flexible in their leadership, adjusting their behavior and strategies to optimize performance and results.
- Transformational Leadership: Transformational leaders inspire and motivate their team members to achieve their full potential by focusing on personal growth, development, and shared vision. They foster a positive work environment, set high expectations, and provide support and encouragement to help individuals achieve their goals.
Take into consideration that there can be overlaps among leadership styles, and you can (and often should) employ a combination of styles.
- Jun 1, 2023 - Enjoy Better Conversations. Three essential tips to improve communication and impact daily interactions.
- Oct 8, 2022 - Effective Communication. The way we communicate with other people has a big impact on the effectiveness of the message we want to deliver.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie, is one of my favorite books. A must read for people that want to develop better personal and professional relationships. It is one of the best-selling books of all time, first published almost a century ago, but it is still a relevant reading about influence.
- Radical Candor by Kim Scott. A reference for managers who want to improve their ability in giving feedback. The book is a collection of ideas on how to give candid feedback, by caring personally and challenging directly.
Blogs & Newsletters
- Scarlet Ink newsletter, by Dave Anderson, is a great source of management and leadership advice from an ex-Amazon Tech Director, which I find extremely helpful for software engineering managers.
People to Follow
- The Radical Candor Podcast: A podcast from the author of the book Radical Candor, with practical tips about giving candid feedback.