On this page, I share resources about Software Engineering Management, which I see as the application of management activities focused on the development and maintenance of software.
- The Software Engineering Manager Role: I describe the responsibilities of the role and share resources to help SEMs to develop their skills.
- Sep 14, 2023 - Progressive Deployments. Strategies to execute successful progressive deployments
- Dec 15, 2022 - Software Engineering Team Size. A collection of valuable insights about how to size software engineering teams, a core principle of organizational design in tech companies.
- Sep 12, 2022 - What Distinguishes Great Software Engineers?. The key traits of top software engineers, based on a comprehensive 2019 research study.
- An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management, by Will Larson (CTO at Carta). An excellent book for software engineering managers, one full of actionable strategies and clear examples, which significantly helps me in my work. The best I’ve read on the subject so far.
- Accelerate by Nicole Forsgren, Jez Humble, and Gene Kim. A great book about implementing DevOps to build and scale high performing technology organizations.
Blogs & Newsletters
- The Pragmatic Engineer blog and newsletter, by Gergely Orosz, is a rich and well-curated source of information for software engineering managers and Software Engineers who want to develop their careers and want to be up to date with the software industry’s best practices and trends.
- The Engineering Manager is written by James Stanier (Director of Engineering at Shopify), author of Become an Effective Software Engineering Manager.
- Addy Osmani blog is written by Addy Osmani, an Engineering Manager at Google.
- Managing Managers: A series of informal conversations with Pat Kua and experienced leaders in tech who manage or have managed other managers.